Next: Sound spatialization
Up: Devices and methods
Previous: Speech output
For non-speech output four main categories may be identified. Because in
the recent literature the same terms are often used in different ways,
first the definitions of the terms used in this report will be presented.
- Auditory Icon
- Everyday sounds that convey information about events
in the computer or in remote environment by analogy with everyday
sound-producing events .
- sound of a trashcan successful deletion of
- machine sound computer process running
- Tone-based symbol sets, wherein the verbal language is
replaced with combinations of pitch and rhythmic structures each of which
denotes something in the data or computer environment. They have
language-like characteristics of rules and internal
Abstract, synthetic tones that can be
used in structured combinations to create sound messages to represent
parts of an interface .
- simple melody for indicating an error status
- Use of data to control a sound generator for the
purpose of monitoring and the analysis of data.
- Mapping data to pitch, brightness, loudness, or spatial
- changes in bond market data changes of brightness
- A direct translation of a data waveform to the audible
domain for the purpose of monitoring an comprehension.
- listening to the waveforms of an electroencephalogram, seismogram,
radio telescope data 
Esprit Project 8579/MIAMI (Schomaker et al., '95)
Thu May 18 16:00:17 MET DST 1995